Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Story Game Updated

Just a quick post to say we have two new stories up at The Story Game. For those of you unfamiliar with that site, The Story Game is a little exercise my brother and I started between the two of us to keep us writing. The storylets we produce are really just intended for each other, and not for publication, but we’re pretty proud of the results, so we decided to throw them up on the web for the world to see.

Here’s a little teaser for mine. I plan to keep on noting new stories being posted on here, but I don't know if y’all are interested in these teasers, but I figured I’d try it out. If you like it, let me know and I’ll keep doing it.

-Excerpt-

Glam Sammy ducked down behind a hillock, his head pressed up against Nathan’s shoulder. Up ahead, a pack of scavvies pulled apart an old car, piece by piece, holding up the good metal and shouting to the sky as they did.

“Back where I’m from,” Glam Sammy said, “we have names for everything. Everything, you know? That’s why this place creeps me out, you know? No names.”

Nathan shrugged. “Things got names here too,” he said. One of the scavvies wrenched out the car’s ashtray and bellowed in triumph, dancing around with it in his hands, a frayed wire dangling from it. “Jesus, look at these animals. They’d do that to a man in heartbeat, too, I know it.”

“No,” Glam Sammy said. “Everything has a word out here. Sun, dirt, sky. Those ain’t names. Where I’m from, they have names, like people, and we all know them, and they know us, too. Out here, nothing knows no one.”

Nathan shifted his weight, lifting his rifle into his hands. The scavvies were making a fire out of the car seats. That meant they were settling in for the night. Nathan had hoped it was early enough that they would move on before dark and he and Sammy could strip down what they left behind without a fight. Now, it would take a miracle just for them to sneak out unseen the way they had snuck in. He bit his lip and chewed on it for a minute. At least they had the element of surprise. And besides, this way, they got the whole shebang, not just the scavvies’ leavings.

“Get your gun ready,” he whispered to Sammy. Read on…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home