Sunday, March 02, 2008

Good News, Everyone!

I don’t know who amongst you doesn’t already know this, because I am, as they say in France “le behind the times,” but Carrie and I are engaged! Woo-Hoo!!!!!! It’s been four long years and some change in the coming, but well worth the wait. I really honestly can’t express in words how amazing my life is because of this woman. I can’t imagine it without her, and frankly, I don’t want to, and so I’m not going to-- I’m going to spend the rest of it with her. If you don’t know Carrie, you should get to know her. She’s honestly the most caring, wonderful, intelligent, funny, all around awesome person I’ve ever met. And did I mention that she’s a hot-hot-hot YA author and a high-powered trusts and estates attorney all at the same time? She is. And she agreed to marry me, of all people! Did I mention “Woo-Hoo?”

So the deets in quick: we go to Williamsburg every year circa Valentine’s Day. The reasoning for this is arcane, but essentially boils down to the fact that the first year I wanted to surprise her with a fun trip she wouldn’t be expecting, and it worked out so well we decided to keep going back. We do this every year, and each year is awesome. I decided in early January that this was the place and the time to get ‘er done, and the specific place was the one place we always, always go back to and have a fantastic time at-- the Winery. Let me make this clear right now for the world: we are winos, and the Williamsburg Winery provides it high-quality and cheap. I heartily recommend all their whites as the best value money can buy (the reds less so, but still good).

So yes, we got engaged in a wine cellar. I strongly recommend this method to the gentlemen (and/or trend-bucking ladies)-- the wine curbs your anxiety and lowers her resolve, the perfect one-two punch. I stammered out some words that went much better in my head but which she was kind enough to immediately forget, went down on one knee, produced the box, and, as our awesome tour guide Bill looked on, we got engaged! One more time with the Woo-Hoo! No idea when the wedding will be, but now it’s pretty much assured to be some time!

In other news, I have officially, if temporarily, divorced myself from short story writing for reasons discussed in more detail here. That said, I am now working on my first novel. I don’t necessarily have high hopes; I consider this more of a learning experience than an actual attempt to create something salable. I’m really excited about it, though, and excited to be writing again, and that’s what’s really important to me right now. I promised I wouldn’t say anything here until I finished Chapter 2, which I did today (and which is why I've been absent for awhile). I think I’ll talk in more length about the process that took me from total not-writing to writing regularly again some other time, but I think that deserves its own post-- right now I just wanted to let the world know that I’m back in the game, baby

7 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY JP! You are wonderful and we couldn't be more excited to have you in the fam. Great news about the novel-writing too. Good luck!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Jp said...

And I couldn't be more excited to be a party of your family! Wait, when we tie the knot, do I suddenly become an uncle? Now that's wild!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger H. Philip Aster said...

Congratulations! I am very happy for both of you. Good idea about the wine cellar - that's good. I was in Snowshoe, WV this weekend skiing (what else does one do there?) and someone spray-painted (in orange) a marriage proposal in the snow beneath one of the ski lifts. I thought that was novel but fairly lame.

Keep me apprised of your work on the novel. I haven't taken that big step yet, but I think about it often. No time like the present, I suppose.

What genre for the novel?

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Jp said...

"I thought that was novel but fairly lame."

A step up from scrawling it on a water tower, I guess. Not a big step up, but a step up nonetheless.

So, no, no date. We don't want to do it later than October, and my brother doesn't get back to the country until September, and we're lazy, so this year's probably out. Next spring is Carrie's big book release, and she has to be available to do publicity tours and other awesome stuff. Maybe summer? who can say.

The novel is, at the moment, a Sci-Fi young adult, though the young adult part may go before this whole thing is done. It's not really my field, but I've been reading alot of it since Carrie sold hers and the idea happened to crystallize in that format.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger H. Philip Aster said...

I would really be interested to hear about the process you have employed to this point on the novel. Have you fairly well set forth the progression of the plot? Do you have a rough outline of where you think the story is going to go? How much time did you spend on point of view? Are you going to blaze a new trail with the style or content, or will it be enough just to write a solid novel?

I have lots more questions if you want to field them.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Skip Hire Services said...

Cheap Skip Hire Essex is the best skip hire services provider in Essex.Skip Hire Essex offers cheap prices and all kinds of skip sizes as we value the needs of our customers. We provide our services all across at a competitive price. Book your order now and Get 20% instant discount.

Visit our site for more details....

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Skip Hire Services said...

Cheap Skip Hire Essex is the best skip hire services provider in Essex.Skip Hire Essex offers cheap prices and all kinds of skip sizes as we value the needs of our customers. We provide our services all across at a competitive price. Book your order now and Get 20% instant discount.

Visit our site for more details....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home